Mastercollegeserie: High Voltage cable systems
The course is aimed to introduce and discuss technical and scientific aspects of high voltage cable systems. This involves design and manufacturing of cables, cable insulation material, electric and magnetic field distribution, cable bonding, concerns related to cable termination and cable joints, diagnostics and monitoring, failure modes of the cable systems, and cable testing.
The course starts with an introduction to cable systems, their evolution, and current state of the art. Various cables used in practice (e.g. land cables, submarine cables, superconducting cables), the insulation material and their properties will be discussed. An overview of the cable manufacturing process is given. Gas Insulated transmission line (GIL), as an alternative for cable systems, will be overviewed. Technical and economic comparison between the two options will be made.
- To know the position of cables in electric transmission grids.
- To be able to describe each cable insulation, semiconducting and conducting materials and the manufacturing process of each type of cable.
- To be able to calculate electric, magnetic and thermal characteristics of a cable.
- To be able to calculate cable parameters.
- To know the principal of wave propagation through cables
- To know different cable bonding techniques and their consequences.
- To be able to recall different cable testing and their purpose.
- To know the diagnostics techniques used for cable monitoring.
- To know the most important failure modes of cable systems and how to evaluate remaining lifetime of a cable system
- To be able to evaluate electric field distribution for a cable joint or termination using a FEM model
The course consists of three parts, i.e. lectures, computer modeling session and laboratory demonstration.
Literature and Study Materials
The following references will be used to construct the material of the course. Handout will be given after each session.
 Extruded cables for high-voltage direct-current transmission, Giovanni Mazzanti, et al.
 Cable system transients, Akihiro Ametani, et al
 Application of high temperature superconductor to electric power equipment, Swarn singh kalsi
Condition Assessment of High Voltage Insulation in Power System Equipment, R.E. James and Q. Su
 Power and communication cables, R. Bartnikas, et al
 Rating of electric power cables in unfavorable thermal environment, George J. Anders.
 Charges and discharges in HVDC cables, Marc Jeroense
 Electrical Power Cable Engineering, William A. Thue
 Electromagnetic transients in power cables, Filipe Faria, et al
 Submarine power cables, Thomas Worzyk
 Power cables, KEMA
 Power cable engineerirng, Nexans