Power converters are intrinsically (time) discrete in nature, and the course is therefore intentionally focussed on digital, i.e. time-discrete controller implementations. The course fits both specialisation tracks within EPE (High efficiency energy conversion and High performance motion).
An overview of the topologies used to rectify, convert or invert power up to a maximum of 5000 Watts. Analysis techniques to study these topologies with respect to their fundamental characteristics, power flow and energy storage.
- Recall the basic theory behind switched mode power conversion
- Explain the differences between large and small signal models
- Create small signal models of power converters using different methods
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages, and valid operating conditions of each small signal modelling method for power converters
- Describe the prerequisites for modern control of power converters
- Determine observability, controllability and stability of power electronic converters
- Describe, explain the working principle of, and design and implement both classical and modern control structures for power converters
- Analyse the tracking error of controller-converter systems and propose and implement measures to reduce this error
- Analyse resonant converters based on state plane analysis
- Implement optimal trajectory control
- Describe the purpose and use of observers in power converters and design and implement various types of observers
- Discuss various implementation issues in digital control of power converters and the best approach for each specific problem
- Simulate power converters and their control using various methods (large and small signal models, ODE solvers, Matlab Simulink, circuit simulators), and recall the important implementation aspects
Power converters are intrinsically (time) discrete in nature, and the course is therefore intentionally focussed on digital, i.e. time-discrete controller implementations.
- Overview of the field of modern power electronics.
- Offering a number of fundamental analysis techniques.
“I finally found high level education!”
participant of Jabil Circuit